Friday, January 15, 2010

WEM's Barton headed to UNI

Had a conversation with Waterville-Elysian-Morristown senior Amanda Barton this week about her future. Back on Nov. 11, the basketball standout signed a national letter of intent to attend the University of Northern Iowa next fall.

Barton is believed to be the first player from WEM to be given a scholarship to attend a Division I college out of high school. The 6-foot-2 post is WEM's career scoring leader with 1,270 points. She is averaging 16.6 points and 11.8 rebounds per game.

Barton also has 29 blocked shots this season. The senior said she narrowed her choices to UNI, MSU-Moorhead and the University of Evansville in Indiana before opting to go to Iowa.

"They started recruiting me last July," Barton said. "I liked the coach and the facilities when I visited and, since it's always been my dream to play Division I basketball, that's where I signed."

To read more about Barton, check out Chad Courrier's prep notebook in the coming weeks. The notebook usually appears on Thursdays.

-- Jim Rueda

No comments:

Post a Comment